Until the 18th century the Weidmoos
and the other large bog complexes of the Alpine foothills
were large, almost inaccessible areas which even filled
people with fear. In 1700 Archbishop J.E. Graf von Thun
declared that “...all bogs in the judicial districts
this side of the mountains are to be described and cultivated...”.
But it was almost another hundred years before the Weidmoos
began to be cultivated in 1790.
As industrialisation got under way,
bringing with it a shortage of fuel, people began to
be interested in burning peat. Peat was of particular
interest for the glass industry which was just being
established in Bürmoos. The raw materials for glass
production were there on the doorstep – lime from
Haunsberg, sand from the Salzach, peat from the bog.
After the collapse of the glass industry, peat cutting
also came to an end in 1930.
In 1947 the “Österreichische
Stickstoffwerke AG Linz” (Austrian Nitrogen Works
AG) restarted the large-scale industrial production
of fuel peat and milled peat. The bog became an industrial
landscape. From the middle of the 1950s, peat was mined
only for the production of plant compost (garden peat).
Production did not cease until the year 2000, when peat
supplies were running low. Only a small remnant of the
original bog remains today.
> Slideshow with pictures from the former peat cutting
Peat used to be an important
source of energy ...
Large-scale mining of peat
transformed the Weidmoos into an industrial landscape
linked the peat works with the Weidmoos ...